Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Aloo Samosas

Since I bought my copy of Vegan Lunch Box (highly recommend it, by the way!), I have been wanting to try out the Aloo Samosas. My gorgeous friend gail introduced me to the joy that is Indian food (she is responsible for so many of my foodie inclinations!), and I am a happy convert. I do enjoy a tasty samosa, but the fried thing is a bit of a turn-off. The recipe in Vegan Lunch Box intrigued me because 1) they were samosas to make at home, 2) they were baked, and 3) their size and mild flavor might potentially appeal to my super-choosy eater. To make them lunchbox-handy, you fold up the little parcels to fit inside the individual cups in a muffin tin. Look at the result:


I gotta tell ya, this opens up a whole new world of possibilities! Look at those adorable little pies! I see so much potential for lunch box treats here. Little tiny apple pies, rhubarb pies, vegetable pot pies...oh, the baking excitement! Usually, I follow new recipes completely, so I know if I don't like them, I'll know I need to change something rather than wondering if I don't like it because of the change I preemptively made. That being said, I did find these a tad too mild for my taste. Since my super-choosy eater would have nothing to do with them, I would add more spice next time. I baked them in my usual pie crust (which is not vegan; I adore butter). An adaptation I would make is adding an extra half teaspoon of salt and a half teaspoon of cumin to the crust itself. Our local Indian restaurant rolls their samosas in cumin salt for a super-yummy (though overly salty) result. I initially did the same and ended up knocking as much off again as I could, thus the adaption to include it in the crust.

By the way, although Ellie wouldn't touch these, Markus was a HUGE fan. Between the two of us, we polished off 10 of the 12 yesterday. Yum!

No comments: