Thursday, February 21, 2008

Why the lack

Hey there to anyone who actually checks this blog. I apologize for the lack of posting. It certainly has nothing to do with lack of cooking (or especially baking!), because I've been doing lots of that! As a frequent peruser of food blogs, I realize that I am most interested in and motivated by sites and recipes with good accompanying images. Since I continually fail to capture what I make, I just haven't been posting about it. One reason for the poor images I get is lack of good natural light. Sunlight and winter in Holland don't tend to go hand in hand, and I hate flash. Another reason is that acquiring a macro lens for this purpose is way down near the bottom of my monstrous to-do list, particularly right now when I'm waiting for our egg to hatch.

Not to completely leave you hanging, some new and tasty favorites we've tried that you can see elsewhere include:

gail's black bean sweet potato chili love it love it love it (although we made it more stew-like, keeping the kick to a minimum to encourage Ellie to eat it)
cornmeal cake This is delicious and light, and the orange zest makes it smell heavenly while baking.
mini-donuts ala VeganYumYum always with chocolate and sprinkles to satisfy our most demanding customer

Just today, I tried out mini-coconut-blood-orange bundt cakes ala VeganYumYum and I'm a big fan. Not only do you have to love the mini-Bundts, but the flavor is really outstanding for such a simple recipe. I did pour syrup over the hot cakes fresh out of the oven for extra flavor and moisture, but I found the syrup way too sugary to use again for serving.

No comments: