Monday, March 17, 2008

Calzones!

Oooo...I am so proud! There's something about making a yeast dough that makes a girl feel like a real cook. Last night after what seemed like the ten billionth lament about lack of good pizza places around here, I decided to try my hand at making calzones. I found a super-simple recipe for dough, crossed my fingers, and gave it my best shot. SUCCESS!!!! Oooooo, yummy calzone-y goodness with the added bonus of fresh-baked-bread-smell filling the house. Is there anything better? Perhaps you should try it yourself and see.

Calzone dough
Makes 8

1 cup warm water (110 F)
1 Tbsp active dry yeast
1 Tbsp honey
1/2 tsp salt
2.5-3 cups flour

Stir water, yeast, honey and salt in large bowl until yeast is dissolved.
Using wooden spoon, stir in 2 cups of flour until well combined.
Add remaining flour as needed until dough forms a ball. More flour might be necessary if dough is too sticky.
Scoop out dough onto lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic.
Place dough in lightly greased bowl, cover with damp cloth, and place in a warm spot. Allow dough to rise until doubled, approximately 1 hour.
Punch down dough. It is now ready to be shaped.
Separate dough into 8 balls.
Roll each ball until about 1/4 inch thick and 5 inches in diameter (please don't get out a ruler; this is just a guideline!).
Fill with 2-3 tablespoons of whatever yummy goodness you find appealing.
Use your finger or a pastry brush to moisten the edges of the dough with water.
Fold over until the filling is inside the dough pocket. Crease the edges together to seal.
Bake on an ungreased cookie sheet in a 450F preheated oven for 15-20 minutes. Enjoy!

For filling last night, I whipped up some quick homemade tomato sauce with basil and garlic, steamed some spinach, and added some feta and black olive tapenade. Even Ellie was a big fan, which means we'll probably have calzones every week from now on.

3 comments:

Karly said...

I have yet to be successful with pizza dough, but you've inspired me to give it a try...I'll give my hand at this one! Thanks for sharing...I'll let you know how they turn out.

Karly said...

Ok...tried it tonight, and they were sooo good and easy! Thank you for posting some pizza dough that I can work with! I used some homemade tomato sauce, a ricotta and parmesan cheese mixture I made, some Italian sausage (for my guys), and bell pepper, onion, and portabella mushrooms (for me...snuck a few in for the guys too!). I'll definitely have to give your version a whirl too...it sounds yummy. My mind is already thinking of all the possibilities for calzone goodness... Wonder if they would freeze well, you know make and then freeze for later use? Anyway, thanks for sharing...you are awesome :)

Jennifer said...

I'm glad you like them! yes, you can refrigerate the dough after it has risen and punched down or freeze the cooked calzones. We have been enjoying calzone-y adventures over here. Our latest favorite is dough made with half stone ground whole wheat flour and half white flour. Yum.