Sunday, April 6, 2008

Irresistable Peanut Butter Cookies


Only slightly modified from the Jif website, I have to agree with the cookie title. They are irresistable! Reese's was onto something with the peanut butter-chocolate combo, so I always add chocolate to my peanut butter cookies. This recipe was responsible for turning my non-peanut-butter-eating husband into a believer. Recently, our grocery store has stopped stocking light brown sugar, so this weekend I used a combo of white (3/4 cup) and dark brown (1/2 cup): WOW. Try it! And enjoy!

Ingredients
• 3/4 cup Jif Creamy Peanut Butter
• 1/2 cup butter, room temperature (my replacement for shortening, which I don't like)
• 1 1/4 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
• 3 Tablespoons milk
• 1 Tablespoon vanilla
• 1 egg
• 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
• 3/4 teaspoon salt
• 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/2 cup or more chocolate chips (my addition)

Directions
• Preheat oven to 375ºF.
• Combine Jif peanut butter, butter, light brown sugar, milk and vanilla in large bowl.
• Beat at medium speed of electric mixer until well blended.
• Add egg. Beat just until blended.
• Combine flour, salt and baking soda.
• Add to creamed mixture at low speed. Mix just until blended. Stir in chocolate chips.
• Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart onto ungreased baking sheet.
• Bake at 375ºF for 7 to 8 minutes or until set and just beginning to brown.

• Makes 3 dozen cookies

A tasty variation on this is to omit the chocolate chips but top each cookie with a Hershey's Kiss when the cookies are fresh out of the oven. That was my favorite as a kiddo, and I bet that could top the list now too if that candy were available here. Yet another variation that I've never made but have tried in a bakery is topping the cookies with a Reese's peanut butter cup instead of the Kiss. Decadent.

No comments: