Sunday, January 6, 2008

She's a maniac!

To say I've been on a bit of a cooking spree this weekend would be an understatement. I have come across so many recipes I want to try that I can't seem to stop myself once I get going. Since my last post, I've made:

homemade granola
cornbread pancakes
peanut butter banana waffles
cranberry sauce with orange marmalade and cinnamon (awesome on the cornbread pancakes or with yogurt and granola)
roasted garlic and sweet potato spread
broccoli pesto
pasta with spinach, roasted bell peppers, lemon and feta cheese
peanut butter chocolate chip cookies (old recipe but new craving)
ricotta-almond cupcakes

With the close of the weekend, I should be slowing down a bit. Markus has been a wonderful and willing guinea pig for these foods (all of which I'm delighted to say have turned out YUMMY!). Ellie is on a pomegranate binge right now, so she's pretty much tried to subsist on those and cereal when she can get away with it.

After many unsatisfactory attempts at good food photography, I've decided to let it rest until I can get a macro lens for my camera. Until then, you will just have to use your imagination...or better, make it yourself! I'll share a recipe for today to get you going. I know it's a bit late for cranberries. Most of us only buy/eat them at Thanksgiving, but we love them here and I bought lots and froze them. This sauce is our current favorite (adapted from a 2003 Bon Appetit), and it couldn't be easier to make.


Cranberry Sauce with Orange Marmalade and Cinnamon

1.5 cups orange marmalade
2/3 cup orange juice (I use Sanguinello/blood orange juice)
1 cinnamon stick
12 ounce bag cranberries, rinsed and picked over for baddies

Heat first three ingredients in small saucepan over medium heat until marmalade dissolves. Stir in cranberries and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 5 minutes or until all cranberries have popped. Remove from heat. Pour into heat-resistant bowl and allow to cool completely. Refrigerate until ready to serve (ideally, refrigerate overnight first to let the flavors and texture meld).

As mentioned above, this sauce is great on the pancakes or in the granola, but it is also good on sandwiches or as a side. Providing you like cranberries, of course.

1 comment:

Karly said...

Cooking spree indeed! It all sounds so yummy, and I truly appreciate the post of the cranberry recipe. Would it be too much to ask for a post of the pasta with spinach, roasted bell peppers, lemon and feta cheese recipe? Pretty please?! :)